Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Omnivorous to Herbivorous - The culinary path towards vegetarianism

For a long time, being a gastronome to me meant having unbiased, unrestricted access to savory meals that infused my taste buds with an array of different flavors. In addition, being raised an omnivore, just caused my reflexes to naturally intake all types of food placed before me, without so much as giving a second thought to distinguishing between it's sources: plant or animal. This attitude very well allowed me to explore foods from almost all groups and all levels of the food pyramid!
Culinary satisfaction to it's fullest! At least that is what I thought.

But for a few years now, my omnivorous routines have been raising my concerns about health, food safety, sustainable fishing and not the least, animal cruelty.
It all started with a prolonged bout of feeling weak and unhealthy, mainly due to the lack of a well-balanced diet and one that mainly comprised of sugars, 'food toxins', animal fats and hardly any greens, fibers or healthy fats.

I investigated my diet, questioned my health habits and read intensively on what could possibly deliver the feeling of being healthy from within. I didn't immediately seem convinced that going vegetarian was the way towards my goals, especially since I was losing weight by the pounds and was diagnosed for iron and vitamin B12 deficiency - 2 important nutrients that are more easily assimilated by our digestive systems through animal food sources.

But an increased intake of meat wasn't the right solution, in fact it did further damage to the way I felt about my skin, my energy levels and my general well-being. Also, I learned gradually that my specific nutrient deficiencies just required to be combated through supplements.

At the same time I started reading a book, the autobiography of a great leader and humanitarian, who preached non-violence. Mahatma Gandhi, even though raised a vegetarian, describes how he had several phases where meat was a primary ingredient in his diet and how he mentally reasoned for and against his meat eating habits. He eventually succeeded in his emotional battle and turned back to vegan-ism for life.
Another book called Skinny Bitch is what I read that further helped calm my feelings towards vegetarianism :)

Today, I try to make an educated choice from the food options that are available to me. Every time I decide to go 'veggie' at a meal, I feel more confident of taking the step effortlessly the next time.

With this 'slight' diversion on my culinary path, I hope to more gratefully savor the fruits of a healthy and yet proportionately, balanced diet. Being a faithful herbivore, while not compromising flavor, comes with a variety of tricky dilemmas and odd challenges. But with an evolving creativity, a constant yearning for variety and a dash of openness towards embracing different cuisines, you won't have to make many culinary sacrifices while your omnivorous counterparts release satisfactory but slight belching sounds :-)
To make the entire transition less stressful, slight flexibilities and altercations are the keys you can keep handy!

It seems tough to give up an essential quality of being a true, unrestricted gastronome - the one which lets you indulge in all sorts of flavors and aromas. But setting out into the world of herbivores, I am excited as ever about my prospects of diverging from the beaten path and working towards defining new norms of what a tasty plate of food can constitute.

And then there is always the prospect of jumping into the parallel worlds of frugivores (predominantly fruit), gramnivores (nuts, seeds, etc.), folivores (green leaves) ...etc.

Throw in a few gallons of my favorite liquid - water and there you go ... healthy eating redefined!

Some favorite restaurants in New York City that serve vegetarian fare or are at least vegan friendly:
Buddha Bodai
Location: 5 Mott St (between Chatham Sq & Mosco St)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/buddha-bodai-new-york

Lan Cafe
Location: 342 E 6th Street (between 1st Ave & 2nd Ave)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/lan-cafe-new-york

Red Bamboo
Location: 140 W 4th St (between 6th Ave & Mac Dougal St)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/red-bamboo-new-york

Cafe Himalaya
Location: 78 E 1st St (between Ave A & 1st st)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-himalaya-new-york-2

No comments: