Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Knee pain, IT Band pain - Please no Orthotics!

I went to the podiatrist last week complaining of knee pain that mostly appeared during the work week while I am endlessly seated at my desk. Prior to that, earlier last year, the same pain (on the side of my knees) would crop up during my longer runs and road races. Other than these issues I feel healthy and lead a well-functional lifestyle.

The podiatrist advised that my legs were improperly pronating (diagnosed me with flat arches, overpronation) and that the IT band was rubbing against the side of the knee causing the aches. He advised that I not invest in shoes with minimalist designs (a thought that I had been inclining towards) and wear 'supportive' and well-reinforced shoes for stability and motion control everyday, everywhere and during any active outdorr routines.

He rushed into prescribing 'custom made' temporary orthotics that his occupational therapist quickly made and fitted me with. He asked me to try them on and come in for permanent orthotics. The damages were about a 100 bucks and a lifelong commitment to using these devices (read crutches) - the latter part I openly disagree to.

Short of a hundred bucks, I do not feel ready to allow myself to succumb to second part of the deal. I believe that it will severely damage my ability to use my feet and body naturally and cause me further not-so-easy-to-reverse complications. I am going to say that these orthotics seem more like a generic bandage or a mask on my problem than a custom-made soution to solving the root issues with alignment and strengthning of muscle groups in my body.

I am reading the following pages of alternate advice and will be further refering to techniques like minimal running, pose running techniques and strength training.

http://www.drbookspan.com/KneePainArticle.html

http://sock-doc.com/2011/09/unnecessary-orthotics/



No comments: